Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 7, 2011

P.S I just had my interview with Erica Domesek

"I see it. I like it. I make it." is Erica's moto and she has taken it all they way and is still going. Founder, creator and author of P.S - I made this, Erica is a distinguished DIY design and style expert living in NYC. Her company has grown from word of mouth and her going out wearing her DIY designs. Erica is an inspiration to everyone who loves fashion but doesn't want to spend that pretty little penny on something that you can easily make.
I was super excited about doing this interview with Erica, check out what she has to say about her latest projects, collaborations, and style.



Erica, ever since I've known you, you were always working on an amazing project, whether it was creating your own jewelry line, or working in Marketing/PR within the fashion industry; but "PS I made this..." seems to be a real home run! How did you come up with the idea to create this amazing concept?

A few year’s ago my good friend sent me an email that she was going to buy this necklace. It was 3 feathers on a chain and it cost $600. I told her don’t get this, that’s ridiculous we can make it. She and a few friends came over to make this necklace and I had so much fun showing them how to make stuff. Then during fashion week I was back stage at a fashion show and someone complimented my necklace and eventually I started a craft club and blog. Word caught on that I had a craft club and as I like to call it, it was a "happy accident."

Are you collaborating with anyone exciting that you can share with us?

I’m launching fabric markers with sharpie, which is really exciting. And there will be an ad. in Seventeen Magazine for it.

What has been your favorite DIY?

I don’t know! I don’t have a favorite; they are all like my children. If I wear them a lot or use them a lot its my favorite. I use my I pad case that I made all the time and I’m currently working on a Proenza inspired DIY as we speak.













How do you decide on the next thing to DIY?

We have an Editorial calendar that our projects are posted on so everyday is something new.It depends on what I’m feeling, I switch it up between accessories and lifestyle projects. I’m always looking at runway trends and what people are writing in and requesting. Traveling inspires me a lot or if I see something that WOW’s me walking down the street.



























If you could DIY with any designer who would it be?

I can’t just pick one…I look up to Oscar and Donna Karen so it would be incredible to do something with them. Some one like Marc Jacobs would be fun or Diane Von Furstenberg.

Donatella Versace and I did one together and that was really fun. She had long fingernails and needed help opening safety pins.

What crafting tool can you not live without?

It’s a Tie between my gold scissors and glue gun.

“P.S I made this…” obviously makes it super easy to get started in the crafting world, but do you have any tips or words of inspiration for your followers?

I think that my biggest recommendation about making things would be start small and easy, don’t do anything hard. Something that wont require too many tools. Its always fun to get together with good friends and bounce ideas off one another. The more you start to build your DIY library you can expand to more larger projects. And go to “PS I made this” to get ideas!


You’re clearly an inspiration to many fashion lovers, so who is your inspiration?

I don’t have one. I’m inspired by people who do over the top accessories. I’m an accessories person through and through. Jewelry is my thing and I’m drawn to bold jewelry. Oscar has amazing costume jewelry! I love Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, and Marni has great jewelry also. Those are my go- tos . Im also a big Proenza fan and they are launching their jewelry line this fall, which I’m very excited about. And you can’t go wrong with little Marc Jacobs.














Every time I see you (which needs to be more often) you are always well accessorized. What accessory can you not live without?

I wear a gold ring almost everyday that I got in a tiny little town called Salulitas and my ELD monogrammed earrings-I’m very big on monogramming.

What are you favorite places to shop in NYC?

Hardware stores! I treat hardware stores the way I treat Bergdorf Goodman. I love going to Bergdorf and Barney's when ever I make it uptown. I wear a lot of Elizabeth & James and Tory Burch. Oh and a lot of vintage!!

How would you describe your style?

I’m definitely kind of eclectic with a modern, edgy, bohemian twist and touch of sass.

Who's your NEW favorite fashion blogger out there :)?

Well its yours of course! And also My friend Leandra Medine site The Man Repeller is great and Geri Hirsch because im addicted.

P.S check out Erica's book and start getting crafty.

1 comment:

  1. I really love Erica's site and style, this is a great interview!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...